[mythtv-users] Nvidia underclocking vdpau

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 16:38:48 UTC 2010

> I bought a cheap gt220 card recently, but the fan is louder than I care
> for.  I was partially wondering how it would do if I underclock the card and
> slow down the fan with a resistor or remove the fan power completely.

Some NVidia cards actually allow you to control the fan speed in
software -- might look into this before cutting wires and soldering
resistors. I will be doing this too (on my PCI 8400 GS) as soon as I
get my distro installed and working. I may need a better heatsink
though, as even with the fan full-speed the heatsink gets hot to the
touch just in console mode!

> I want to figure out he lowest frequency (and thus power)
> I can use, but still use vdpau effectively.

I believe you will just need to experiment, gradually slowing it down
until video stutters. Then gradually start undervolting it until it
becomes unstable. Please keep us posted on any progress you make, and
I will post here too if/when I get mine working too.