[mythtv-users] World of pain migrating to "Storage Groups"

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Jul 14 18:05:01 UTC 2010

On 7/14/2010 13:14, George Nassas wrote:
> A few years back (like maybe 5) there were discussions about streaming vs local mounting and I think people found local mounts won out over streaming decisively. Things may have changed or my memory might be failing me but I've always looked at myth streaming as the second class solution.

 From a performance standpoint, NFS built into the kernel beats out
mythprotocol.  That's why recordings will only be made to the local
filesystem, and diskless backends cannot record to a remote storage group.

 From an ease of use standpoint, mythprotocol streaming wins hands
down.  You can add new clients at will, and they are instantly capable
of accessing any content you have on your mythtv install.  A couple
months ago, I was playing with mythprotocol and managed around 45MB/s
off the disk, through the backend, and across my network to a custom
client written in python socket code.  It's plenty capable for an
application where the most you will ever see is the 5MB/s of a Bluray video.