[mythtv-users] Stability problems with 9400GT and VDPAU

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 19:58:26 UTC 2010

All,

Last weekend I upgraded the video card in one of my frontends and did
a fresh install of Ubuntu. I'm using the accelerated drivers and using
the VDPAU Normal profile for playback on 0.23.

I've been getting some random lockups that end with corruption of the
video and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. It's a fairly
small front end with a 275 watt PS and a 65 watt Core2Duo @ 2 Ghz.
What I didn't know before purchasing was that this particular card
claims to need at least a 300 watt PS. Is that normal of these types
of cards? I'm thinking it could either be heat or lack of power that's
causing my problems, but power is something I have a limited supply
of. The case has a non-standard PS that can't be upgraded easliy so of
course I'm hoping it's not power.

If I underclock the GPU, how low can I go before I can't use VDPAU to
play HDPVR recordings? Any other suggestions to help me get things
stable again?

Thanks,

David