[mythtv-users] stupid vdpau question: pronunciation

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 20:32:13 UTC 2010

On 14/07/2010 2:04 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM, aaron<memoryguy at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I always used to think of it as "Vee Dee Pow" but then I keep hearing
>> the MythTV Cast hosts saying "Vee Dee Pee Ay You" so now that's taking
>> over my thinking... but IMHO ("Imm hoe"? :) ) it takes too long to
>> say... too many syllables.
>
> Vee Dee Pee Ay You is certainly a mouthful, but not really any worse
> than PCMCIA, which I've never heard pronounced as an acronym.

Ah yes, good old "People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms".

(In case you don't know, it's actually "Personal Computer Memory Card
International Association").

I suppose it could be pronounced "peek'm-ceeya", but even that's more
than a little obtuse.

And is it VeeDee-Pow, (using "Kraut" or "Flautist" as the root
pronounciation), VeeDee-Paw (Using "Auger", "Autism" or "August" as the
root pronounciation) or VeeDee-Poh (Using the french "Au", as in "Port
Au Prince", or "Eau de Toilette")?