[mythtv-users] stupid vdpau question: pronunciation

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 14 20:40:13 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 14, 2010 02:32:13 pm Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 14/07/2010 2:04 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM, aaron<memoryguy at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> I always used to think of it as "Vee Dee Pow" but then I keep hearing
> >> the MythTV Cast hosts saying "Vee Dee Pee Ay You" so now that's taking
> >> over my thinking... but IMHO ("Imm hoe"? :) ) it takes too long to
> >> say... too many syllables.
> >
> > Vee Dee Pee Ay You is certainly a mouthful, but not really any worse
> > than PCMCIA, which I've never heard pronounced as an acronym.
>
> Ah yes, good old "People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms".
>
> (In case you don't know, it's actually "Personal Computer Memory Card
> International Association").

I thought that was "Industry Association", not "International", but I'm often wrong.

My favorite is TWAIN

Technology Without An Interesting Name

And, for those familiar with MIL specs:

MIL-TFD-41

Mike It Like The F***ing Drawing For Once

And of course, since this is a video-oriented site:

NTSC - Never Twice the Same Color

SECAM - System Essentially Contrary to the American Method

PAL - Peace At Last