[mythtv-users] World of pain migrating to "Storage Groups"

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jul 14 22:07:22 UTC 2010

>  A few years back (like maybe 5) there were discussions about streaming vs
>> local mounting and I think people found local mounts won out over streaming
>> decisively. Things may have changed or my memory might be failing me but
>> I've always looked at myth streaming as the second class solution.
>>

> From a performance standpoint, NFS built into the kernel beats out
> mythprotocol.  That's why recordings will only be made to the local
> filesystem, and diskless backends cannot record to a remote storage group.
>
> From an ease of use standpoint, mythprotocol streaming wins hands down.
>  You can add new clients at will, and they are instantly capable of
> accessing any content you have on your mythtv install.  A couple months ago,
> I was playing with mythprotocol and managed around 45MB/s off the disk,
> through the backend, and across my network to a custom client written in
> python socket code.  It's plenty capable for an application where the most
> you will ever see is the 5MB/s of a Bluray video.

This is what I like about the mythprotocol implementation... if only it
supported .iso and external players.  So now, on all of our frontends I must
configure NFS... which is mostly painless but not entirely trivial either.

Robert... since you have knowledge of the internal workings of the
mythprotocol, can you comment on how difficult it would be to create a
filesystem implementation of it. Or just a single file "frameserver" for
lack of a better term, that would allow an external application to read from
a local "file" that is actually a stream from the server.

I imagine it could be done with FUSE.  Looking over
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fuse/ it doesn't look
impossible (though I certainly couldn't do it).  You would need to make FUSE
read() commands issue a mythprotocol QWERY_FILETRANSFER command and return
the result for example.

I wish I had some real programming skillz.