[mythtv-users] SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED]

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 00:15:58 UTC 2010

Hi

On 15 July 2010 06:20, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> Then the system must think that all my devices are analog, even IEC958,
> because I do not see these checkboxes for any device.

Yes, for some reason the device name for IEC958 on your box is :
C-MEDIA CMI8788, Analog

go figure...

>> What does the line at the bottom states when you select that particular device
>
> First I press the scan for audio devices bar, and this appears in the
> terminal that I am running mythfrontend from (I am running it as root):
>
> 2010-07-14 14:06:14.425 ALSA, Error: snd_pcm_info_get_card: Operation
> not permitted

Seeing error is normal... Alsa reports a lot more devices than what
actually is usable, so myth try to configure and use each ones
reported. Those that fail are then removed from the list...
It's for those devices that you are seeing errors

> If I select ALSA:default, at the bottom it says:
>
> Device supports up to 5.1 (AC3, DTS)
>
> But there are no checkboxes for AC3 or DTS. I can select 5.1 under
> Speaker Configuration, and if I then set up a separate digital output
> and select IEC958, it works.

Could you post a screen capture with ALSA:default selected?
that's a peculiar thing that's happening now.

If you see AC3 and DTS in the description, then the checkbox should
appear (it uses the same test to determine what do display as to
decide if the checkboxes should appear or not)

> Yes, I did that. If I don't do that, then ALSA:default is all I see.

Update to SVN >= 25334 , it tests for digital now, before testing if a
device is analog, so in the case of weird stuff like yours, it will
work.