[mythtv-users] Equipment needed for DishTv to Myth

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Thu Jul 15 15:18:24 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Jim Morton <Jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A couple more questions. I see the HD-PVR is a USB device. Will 2 (or
>> possibly 3) play nice together? Is it possible to attach one to a frontend
>> so the backend can still see/use it? In other words - If I have 3 STBs all
>> in different rooms from the backend what are the options for connecting STB
>> -> PVR and PVR -> Myth without running 25 feet USB and IR transmitter
>> cables?
>>

> Yes. You simply run a slave backend on the frontend boxes, and the
> master backend will happily talk to the slaves to tell them to record
> stuff using the hardware hooked to your frontend boxes, sitting next
> to the set top boxes..

How much load will that add to a frontend? The current plan is to use an
Acer Revo w Atom processor but I never considered that it would need to
run a slave backend. I'd like the recordings to go directly to the
master backend (via NFS I suppose) because that's where the multi TB
storage is.

--
Jim