[mythtv-users] Equipment needed for DishTv to Myth

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 15 18:19:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Jim Morton <Jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:
>> How much load will that add to a frontend? The current plan is to use an
>> Acer Revo w Atom processor but I never considered that it would need to run
>> a slave backend. I'd like the recordings to go directly to the master
>> backend (via NFS I suppose) because that's where the multi TB storage is.
>
> Negligible.  I used to do exactly this with a single-core ION and
> there were no problems at all.

Yeah, since you'd be using a hardware encoding device, it adds hardly
any load to the box. The only thing that will really add significant
load is if you have commercial flagging done on the host where the
recording was made, rather than letting the backend do all of that
(both configs are possible).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com