[mythtv-users] Which blaster should I use?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sat Jul 17 05:19:45 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> Most of the ones I've got are visible, but some aren't.

>>> Did you set up a channel change script and wire it up in mythtv-setup?
>>>

>> I don't think so; I selected a Pace STB in IR Devices section, but I'm
>> guessing that doesn't give me a script.
>>

> There's a script on the system somewhere, but it requires adjustments
> for your specific setup, and has to be specified in mythtv-setup. See
> also:
>
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/Change-channel-lirc.sh
>

>> I put /bin/true into the script
>> field of the setup menu.
>>

> Then there's nothing anywhere telling the IR blasters to transmit
> data, thus no activity being seen from them.
>

>> Anything else I tried just exited back to the menu
>> when I tried "Live Tv".
>>
>> So....where would I find a proper script for a "Pace DC700X HD", or, is that
>> something I have to write myself?
>>

> The link provided above should work with a bit of adjustment. The
> 'gi-motorola-dct2000' part should be replaced with whatever the remote
> config profile name in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf for your pace set top box
> is.

Well bust-my-buttons; I think it works!  I copied
"change-channel-lirc.sh" to /home/mythtv, set the permissions, and
matched the STB in change-channel-lirc.sh to the one in /etc/lircd.conf
(Motorola  DCT2000).  I still need to experiment some, but it's working
great so far.

By the way, the blaster does blink...noticeably.

>>> If both are recording from cable boxes, you need two transmitters.
>>> They can be controlled independently.
>>>

>> Only one cable box; so the mceusb will change the channel of the active
>> tuner and leave the other one alone?
>>
>> Example:watching live tv with HdPvr, recording a show with pvr-150, switch
>> channel on live tv....pvr-150 is unaffected?
>>

> What is the pvr-150 recording from? Analog frequencies, fed straight
> into the card over coax? If so, then yes, its entirely separate from
> the hdpvr + ir blaster setup.

Yes, analog cable direct to the card.  I just tried it, the mce remote
works with the active tuner, just as I had hoped.

Once again, thanks everyone for the help....I really appreciate it.

Don