[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Channel Changing Inquiry

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:22:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since Comcast hosed pretty much all my unencrypted QAM (except the
> networks, of course), I just picked up an HD-PVR, another STB, and have been
> reading through all the materials I can find.
>
> On this wiki -> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR
>

> Larry:

A lot depends on what STB Comcast gave you.  People on this list seem to
have had good luck using firewire to change channels on STB's (as do I).  If
your STB has a firewire port AND it is enabled I'd suggest you look at
6200ch which AFAIK is included in the mythtv packages (
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_External_Channel_Changer) or try
mythchanger (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/majoridiot<%28https://wiki.ubuntu.com/majoridiot>).
Personally I use mythchanger because it produced better debug for me to
understand what was going on when I was attempting to record over the
firewire. I since gave up that goal and purchased an HDPVR, as you did.  If
you cannot get the firewire to work (BTW, if it has a firewire port but is
not enabled, I'd try complaining to Comcast first) you'd have to go the way
of an IR blaster.  There has been a lot of discussion on this list on
getting the HD-PVR blaster to work.  You'll need to search the list.  But
firewire is the way to go if possible.  Very reliable and easy.  My entry
for the script is:
mythchanger -c and mythtv fills in the channel.

Good luck.

-- Ken E.