[mythtv-users] SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED]

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:34:07 UTC 2010

Hi

On 17 July 2010 23:57, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I'll be the first to admit that I don't
> fully understand how surround sound really works, including on the
> receiver side, but it appears that I am not really getting surround
> sound out of myth at all since my "svn up" on July 10. I am going to
> attempt to downgrade back to a previous version that worked (but
> subversion does not make this easy, I will have to make an educated
> guess about which previous revision to get). I don't think there have
> been any database schema bumps since then so hopefully I can accomplish
> this and get my surround sound back. without losing access to any
> existing recordings.

Starting to help would be to actually describe what issue you're
having instead a very long version of "it doesn't work"

> If there is anything else I can do to help troubleshoot my problem or if
> anyone else has seen surround sound break in recent updates, please let
> me know. I cannot completely rule out something I may have messed up
> with settings or the database, but the bottom line is that surround
> sound was working, I did an svn up and recompiled, and now surround
> sound is not working. I don't know how else to get it working other than
> going back to a previous version where it worked. I suppose it will be
> interesting to see whether or not this is successful.

Did you update to the version I mentioned earlier, that should fix the
AC3 and DTS flag not showing up with your card?

You will not get surround sound unless AC3 and/or DTS box are checked
with SPDIF output.

Manually selecting in the advanced settings the digital audio output
won't help in any ways whatsoever..

> My hand editing of the data in the database has involved the channel,
> cardinput, and capturecard tables; I haven't played with the settings
> other than through the GUIs. I don't see offhand how this could have
> affected the audio, but I can't be 100% sure it doesn't.

what does aplay -L and aplay -l shows on your box.

When you select ALSA:iec958 in the list, you should have 3 checkboxes
showing up, the first one is visible but disabled, the 2nd one is AC3
and 3rd one is DTS.

Once you check AC3 and DTS ,you will be able to select 5.1 ...

What's the resolution of your screen? I find it extremely puzzling
that the Audio Capabilities box be so small... Maybe it's there but
you don't see them..

Jean-Yves