[mythtv-users] Newbie questions about the python bindings for MythTV

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Jul 18 00:27:16 UTC 2010

On 05/20/2010 08:35 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 23:10, Douglas Peale wrote:
>> Does this mean it will work for Python 3.1?
>>

> No.  The python bindings will not currently work with python 3.x.
>
>> What is the name of the .py file I need to import to access these
>> bindings? is it included by default in the MythTV packages?
>>

> import MythTV

Thank you that did help, but it took me this long to get up to speed enough with Python to be able to do anything useful with this.

At the moment I'm trying to look at the source code to understand what is going on, but perhaps that is not the best
documentation. If there is better, please point me at it.

My current question is: What is the difference between the following methods of MythBE?

MythBE.getPendingRecordings()
MythBE.getScheduledRecordings()
MythBE.getUpcomingRecordings()

They are documented exactly the same way, and I suspect that the names were intended to make their function clear, but I am
afraid I need some clarification.
They return different subsets of the list of scheduled recordings, but I can not figure out what determines what recording gets
in what list.

Digging through the source code, I got lost when I got to the definition of split(). I understand what it does, I do not
understand why. Why would one pack two signed 32 bit numbers into a single 64 bit number? But even knowing that would not answer
the question I originally set out to answer.