[mythtv-users] Disj Network or Direct TV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jul 18 21:33:57 UTC 2010

On Sunday, July 18, 2010 02:46:32 pm stan wrote:
> I have stuck with Comcast, despite the terrible customer service for
> a long time, as here they have been MythTV friendly. That is they
> have continued to provide analog service that I can tune with my
> analog tuner cards.
>
> Well, the end of that has come. They have moved ,u 2nd most watched chancel
> (History) to "Digital Starter", and apparently I need some sort of
> converter box (1 per set!) to receive that chancel. I am certain this is
> the beginning of completely dropping analog. So I seem to be forced with
> the choice of going to either Dish TV or Direct TV.
>
> So, I am seeking the wisdom of the list. Which of these is more
> "Myth TV friendly"? I would like to be able to continue to have the
> computer tune the chancels for the recordings. I have no HD capable
> equipment, and don't see myself affording any in the foreseeable
> future, so which have people had more success with?

Just a personal opinion. I have used both DISH and DirectTV:

They are both very much alike. At one time you could control at least some DTV receivers with a serial port, I'm not sure
if this is still true, I know it's not so with DISH, you need an IR blaster.

I think it depends on what you watch. If all of the channels a you watch are on the cheapest tier (unlikely but possible),
then it would depend on the price of that tier. If you need channels on higher-priced tiers, then it would depend on what
you want and what each provider charges for it, always remembering that lineups, tiers and rates are subject to change.

A very small number of people might have problems getting a clear view of the required satellites with one provider or the
other, if you can check that possibility out ahead of time, do so, perhaps a local installer can help you there.

If you are interested in one or more of the sports packages on offer, from one provider or the other, then that might make
your decision for you.

Other than that, it's a tossup.