[mythtv-users] Feature request: Detect existence of closed captioning

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Jul 19 01:34:22 UTC 2010

    > Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:26:35 +1000 (EST)
    > From: "Anthony Giggins" <seven at seven.dorksville.net>

    > Wasn't Closed Captions detection also suggested as a Commflagging
    > detection mechanism?

If you're asking, "Can you use CC to indicate whether you're in a
commercial or not?", I'd sadly have to say, "no."  I've seen some
ads w/CC, and plenty of programs w/o CC.  (This is North American
SDTV broadcasts, both digital cable and (when it existed) analog
cable.)  Occasionally the formatting changes dramatically, but again,
you can't tell a priori whether it's the programming or the advertising
that has either double-spaced captions, or captions in all caps vs
mixed case, etc.