[mythtv-users] 2010 Mac Mini?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 19 02:14:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> I know there was discussion about this when it first came out, but I wonder
> what the current thinking is.
>
> Does the 2010 Mac Mini run Linux well, and is the graphics well suited to
> Mythtv on Linux?

You need a fairly new kernel (latest 2.6.34.y stable may work now, not
sure, 2.6.35 definitely will) to get un-borked sata support, and hdmi
audio may or may not work... It definitely does NOT work with the
nouveau driver, but then, for myth, you'd want the nvidia driver
anyway. So it *should*, at least theoretically, be quite good (albeit
expensive) as a linux mythtv frontend in the relatively near future,
if it isn't already. Really though, I think an ion2 box is probably
more cost-effective and just as functional wrt mythtv under linux.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com