[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Channel Changing Inquiry

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 19 02:39:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> Well, hardware.conf is a debian and ubuntu thing, it gets consulted by
>> the debian/ubuntu lirc initscript. If you're running a different
>> distribution, adding that file isn't going to do a thing. Fedora has
>> similar-ish functionality provided by /etc/sysconfig/lirc, but has no
>> automagic (and utterly broken in way too many cases) secondary lircd
>> instance support at this time. Not sure what exactly you're running
>> though.
>>
> Jarod, I'm running FC12:
> 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Fri May 28 05:04:10 UTC 2010 i686 athlon i386
> GNU/Linux

Okay, good, that gives me the best shot of being able to help ya. :)

>> One thought: why use both lirc_i2c and lirc_zilog, why not load *only*
>> lirc_zilog, since its got receiver support too? Should support all of
>> the mentioned remotes just fine, and save the complication of running
>> a second lircd.
>
> Good to know.  I've been running lirc_i2c for years, and didn't realize that
> lirc_zilog alone is enough.  I just figured one lircd instance for IR in,
> and another for IR out.  I'll ditch lirc_i2c and see what I can get with one
> lircd instance.  BTW, when I modprobe lirc_zilog debug=1, I think I am
> supposed to see something like this, as was pasted by another user
> somewhere:
> lirc_zilog: ivtv i2c driver #0: no devices found
> lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
> lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
> firmware: requesting haup-ir-blaster.bin
> lirc_zilog: firmware of size 258140 loaded
> lirc_zilog: 654 codesets loaded
> lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR blaster: firmware version 2.1.0
>
> But I don't anything near that verbose.   All I get is this:
> lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
> lirc_zilog: initialization complete
> Makes me wonder if something is amiss since I see no mention of the firmware
> in my debug messages.

You will need to upgrade your kernel to the latest one currently
available in updates, 2.6.32.16-141.fc12. There was a flub when I
restored the hdpvr-ir-enable patch in earlier kernels after it got
accidentally dropped sometime after the initial f12 release, which I
finally fixed properly in that kernel (just triple-checked that its
working here a few seconds ago). Then you should be able to get a bit
more verbose dmesg, and more importantly, a working device. ;)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com