[mythtv-users] 2010 Mac Mini?

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Mon Jul 19 14:01:17 UTC 2010

>> >  I know there was discussion about this when it first came out, but I wonder
>> >  what the current thinking is.
>> >
>> >  Does the 2010 Mac Mini run Linux well, and is the graphics well suited to
>> >  Mythtv on Linux?
> You need a fairly new kernel (latest 2.6.34.y stable may work now, not
> sure, 2.6.35 definitely will) to get un-borked sata support, and hdmi
> audio may or may not work... It definitely does NOT work with the
> nouveau driver, but then, for myth, you'd want the nvidia driver
> anyway. So it*should*, at least theoretically, be quite good (albeit
> expensive) as a linux mythtv frontend in the relatively near future,
> if it isn't already. Really though, I think an ion2 box is probably
> more cost-effective and just as functional wrt mythtv under linux.
>
> -- Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com

Actually, I already run a Linux myth backend/frontend on an older mac
mini (the intel only one just prior to nvidia). I have a need to
relocate it, and wondered if a new 2010 mac mini would be an improved
substitute.

I'm not wedded to a Mac mini. Is there a box with a similar small quiet
footprint that would be better for a Linux frontend/backend?