[mythtv-users] Disj Network or Direct TV?

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 21:54:14 UTC 2010

> of completely dropping analog. So I seem to be forced with the choice of
> going
> to either Dish TV or Direct TV.
>
> So, I am seeking the wisdom of the list. Which of these is more
> "Myth TV friendly"? I would like to be able to continue to have the
> computer
> tune the chancels for the recordings. I have no HD capable
> equipment, and don't see myself affording any in the foreseeable
> future, so which have people had more success with?

stan,

  One advantage that Dish receivers have is that they can be set to 16
different IR code sets, so that you can easily use ONE instance of LIRC to
control several set-top-boxes.

  I had Dish for about 11 years, and used Myth with Dish for about half that
time.  I had 3 Standard-Def STBs controlled by MythTV via IR, feeding
S-Video and Analog audio into Hauppauge PVR-150 and PVR-500 tuners.

  IR channel changing can often be frustrating to setup, but it does work
well.  I had excellent results with it with just minimal 'tweaking'.

  I can share my old Dish channel change scripts and LIRC configuration
files to make things easier if you chose to go that route. ;-)

 J-e-f-f-A