[mythtv-users] Disj Network or Direct TV?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 03:44:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM, George Mari
<george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:
<snip>
> I was using an older, H20 settop box with MythTV, but it started to get
> flaky.  DirecTV came out and replaced it with their latest settop box, model
> number H24, I believe.  Much smaller than the H20s and H21s, and a major
> difference for me is that they have no S-video output - only composite for
> standard def, along with HDMI and component for the HD outputs.  Because I
> was really wanting to capture 480i over the S-video, I ended up swapping
> that H24 settop box with an H21 I had in another room.  (The H21 has S-video
> output.)

That is one of the difference between Directv and DISH.  My sister has
DISH and her ancient vip622 died.  Called up DISH and they are going
to send her a refurbished vip622.  I asked them why they were not
going to send her one of the new and improved vip722 DVRs, to which
they said that that is not their policy -- if a customer has a vip622
and needs a replacement, they are given the exact same model that they
had before.  I told them that since she was a long time and loyal
customer, that she deserved the better 722, to which they repeated
that that was not their policy.  I told them that if she switched to
Directv that she would get their latest and greatest DVR, and they
agreed that was true.  So, I asked again for the 722, and they said
they could not do it.  I asked them why she should stay with DISH, and
they said because DISH is cheaper -- I said they certainly were.

While I have had some experiences with Directv that annoyed me,
Directv seems to treat their customers better than DISH.  I just hit
my 3 year anniversary with Directv and to thank me for being a loyal
customer, they gave me a movie channel for free for the next three
months.  When I had a receiver die, they sent me the replacement 2nd
day air, unlike DISH that sends it ground (my sister is going to be
without a DVR for a week!)

In comparing the channels that I care about, DISH is not that much
cheaper than Directv.

The main reason I choose Directv three years ago, was because you can
control their receivers via USB instead of having to use an IR
blaster.  Now I am also glad I went with Directv for the reasons
listed above.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.