[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Jul 20 14:06:26 UTC 2010

On 7/20/10 8:23 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
> 3) The DTAs have an accessory 3.5mm - 1/8" jack for connecting a
> supplied IR receiver to support putting the DTA out of sight behind
> the TV.  What about using a patch cable or a modified one with an
> interface circuit (optoisolator, maybe?) to directly connect my MythTV
> IR blaster output to the DTA's IR receiver input?  Would that be more
> reliable?  Worth the effort to develop the interface?  Note I'd need
> to do it 3x for the three DTAs I'll be connecting to my MythTV system,
> along with the STB.

Before getting a blaster which was more reliable with my Dish receivers'
unusually high carrier frequency, I did just this. I wired-up a small
board with a dual opto and a resistor (in series with both opto inputs)
that connected to the serial port inside my HTPC. I ran generic cables
with 1/8" plugs to the backs of the two receivers, and connected this in
place of the IR receivers.

It worked pretty well but, as mentioned, would fail from time to time,
due to the unique requirements of the Dish receivers and timing issues
when the machine was under load. With a fast enough machine or a STB
that uses a more normal 36-40 kHz carrier, this shouldn't be an issue.