[mythtv-users] 2010 Mac Mini?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jul 20 14:31:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 05:36:06PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday, July 19, 2010 04:48:26 pm Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> > The ATOM/ION mini boxes suggested are intriguing. However, I didn't see
> > a firewire on any so far.
> >
> > I use the mini as a backend and frontend. My video sources are an
> > HDHomerun for clear QAM, and a firewire to a Comcast box for encrypted QAM.
> >
> > Besides the firewire issue, is the a dual atom enough to handle
> > recording 3 or 4 streams at once? Is it powerful enough for commercial
> > marking?
>
> Recording generally takes little or no CPU, since the streams are already encoded by the broadcaster or an HD-PVR, it's
> really just a question of disk I/O.
>
> Several folks here are running Atoms as combo FE/BEs and say they work, as far as transcoding or commflagging I guess it
> would depend on how much of a hurry you were in for the results.

    I would not do commflagging on an ION box. In general, flagging is something
that I would avoid doing on boxes that sit next to a TV. I would not want that
activity impacting frontend performance, or creating fan noise or generating
extra heat.

    Although I've got a pretty good wired network and distribute things around
the house any way I like. The box that does most of my flagging sits in the
den next to the master backend.