[mythtv-users] Disj Network or Direct TV?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jul 20 14:40:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 07:13:00PM -0500, George Mari wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 04:33 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> >On Sunday, July 18, 2010 02:46:32 pm stan wrote:
[deletia]
> >Just a personal opinion. I have used both DISH and DirectTV:
> >
> >They are both very much alike. At one time you could control at least some DTV receivers with a serial port, I'm not sure
> >if this is still true, I know it's not so with DISH, you need an IR blaster.
> >
> [deleted]
>
> Confirmed that their receivers still are controllable with a serial
> port.  I'm using an H21 high-def-capable receiver and controlling it
> with the serial port.  Actually, from the computer, I have
> USB->Serial converter, and then a serial->USB cable to the H21
> settop box, because physically, the H21's serial port is a USB port,
> but otherwise, it's really serial.  No need to mess with Lirc, at
> least not to communicate to the settop box.
>
> I've been using DirecTV since 1990-something, and in conjunction
> with MythTV since 2005.  I capture the output of the S-video port
> with an old PVR-350.  It works great.
>
> I was using an older, H20 settop box with MythTV, but it started to
> get flaky.  DirecTV came out and replaced it with their latest

    It sounds like the H24 fixes some of the problems with the older HD
recievers. I've got a couple of those and they are a bit flakey. It's
nothing that can't be worked around though. I wasn't sure whether or not
I should recommend DTV anymore. It sounds like they've sorted things out.

[deletia]