[mythtv-users] Disj Network or Direct TV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 20 14:52:31 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 08:44:33 am jedi wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:44:46PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM, George Mari
> > <george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > I was using an older, H20 settop box with MythTV, but it started to get
> > > flaky.  DirecTV came out and replaced it with their latest settop box,
> > > model number H24, I believe.  Much smaller than the H20s and H21s, and
> > > a major difference for me is that they have no S-video output - only
> > > composite for standard def, along with HDMI and component for the HD
> > > outputs.  Because I was really wanting to capture 480i over the
> > > S-video, I ended up swapping that H24 settop box with an H21 I had in
> > > another room.  (The H21 has S-video output.)
> >
> > That is one of the difference between Directv and DISH.  My sister has
> > DISH and her ancient vip622 died.  Called up DISH and they are going
> > to send her a refurbished vip622.  I asked them why they were not
>
>     Back in the day, I had a lot of trouble dealing with Dish boxes
> and Tivo. The Dish boxes would leave you with a "dialog box" if you
> tuned into a bogus channel. So if you tried to tune in HBO but weren't
> subscribed to it, your receiver would be stuck until you manually went
> in and hit the right button on the remote.
>
>     I had so many bogus and missed recordings that way.
>
>     Dunno if they fixed that or not. That still sticks out in mind though
> and always comes up whenever I contemplate the possibility of switching.

I don't like the fact that the DISH boxes "Call Home" each night, leaving them in a "press select to continue" condition.
You can change the time when this happens, but you can't stop it completely.

So I just send a select code before each channel change, seems to be working, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

Perhaps they want to know if anyone is actually watching, sort of like the Nielson boxes, to prevent people like me from
tuning to PBS and going out to dinner.