[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 16:50:25 UTC 2010

> 1) The STB has a standard TV F-connector on the back along with RCA
> jacks, at least for audio (admittedly, it was a quick inspection over
> cereal this morning).  If I am correct in thinking there is some kind
> of baseband video connection -- RCA jack video (composite?) or
> S-Video, would that make any significant difference in the picture
> quality,

On paper, Component (separate R, G, B) is best, followed by S-Video,
followed by composite (single RCA), followed by RF coax. In my
experience it depends on the TV and on the modulator: on my SD TV set,
I saw zero difference in picture quality between composite and RF
using my FCC-subsidized ATSC STB. In either case the picture quality
was pretty darn good. So unless you have a crummy modulator in your
cableco STB, I feel RF is "good enough" for an SD television set,
especially if the screen is not overly large.

That said, you probably still want to avoid RF if possible; if nothing
else, less noise in the S-Video/composite signal will help your PVR
encode smaller files.