[mythtv-users] 16:9 and european sdtv WSS signal

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:30:37 UTC 2010

2010/7/18 Roger Mårtensson <roger.martensson at gmail.com>:
>  Hi!
>
> I have an issue or maybe two and I wonder if it's implemented or not and if
> it is a know problem.
>
> First the WSS signal. I wonder if the internal player is sensitive to the
> WSS(widescreen) signal? We have a analogue cable the is sending this signal
> and my TV is acting on it but I can't see myth doing anything about it.

Roger,

Can you watch a file recorded with WSS active in a different viewer
(mplayer/xine/etc) and have the aspect ratio change as you would
expect it to?

I record so little analogue video now with my PVR-x50 cards - and that
I do record is almost all in widescreen - that I have 'forced' the
video to be recorded with the widescreen flag on. If it does record
anything that is 4:3, I can adjust the AR during playback.

> The second problem I see is when I try to change the aspect ratio from 4:3
> to 16:9(default it Off) i notice that is changing the size of the picture
> but only the width. The height stays the same.

Standard definition analogue PAL video is typically recorded as
720x576 for both 4:3 and 16:9 content. The amount of _horizontal_
stretching determines whether the video is displayed in widescreen or
not, so I think what you are seeing is normal.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott