[mythtv-users] Virtual Machines, USB tuners and PCI passthrough

Craig Anderson craig.anderson0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 20:07:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has a setup like this:

   - 1 machine with kvm or xen passing through several USB tuners and a
   couple of USB PCI cards to avoid saturating the USB bus.

I would like to do something similar as a VM gives plenty of chance to get a
stable backend, easy backups and restores and can transfer between hardware
if required.

I am hoping to have at least 2 usb dvb-t tuners (dvb-t2 if possible in the
future) and a few (maybe up to 4 eventually) dvb-s2 tuners, I know that HD
on a combination of these would require huge usb bandwidth...would the pci
cards help get round this?

As for hardware I hope to be able to run it of an atom230 seeing as it wont
be decoding anything.

thanks for your help folks

Craig