[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Tue Jul 20 20:53:25 UTC 2010

Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Scott <pickle136 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The DTA and the basic STB only have analog cable output. (although there
>>> may be more variants, sounds like there are)
>>> I managed to snag an HD STB 6200 which had the firewire.
>>>

>> Must be nice.  The clerk at the local office snarled "NONE of our
>> boxes have firewire.  Never have.  Never will."
>>

> For SD or HD?  For HD video STB's, they're required by FCC regulations
> to offer a box with firewire if you ask for it.  There's no such
> requirement for SD boxes and I don't ever recall seeing an SD STB with
> firewire.
>
> There's a link to the FCC regulations on the mythtv wiki's firewire
> page.  If you're looking for firewire, I'd print it out, take it to
> your local office and snarl back your clerk.  Chances are he's got a
> stack of them in a back room somewhere and doesn't even know what they
> are.

They have/once had/excuse/excuse/excuse a real ~!@#load of
DCH3416s in their system and there are many of these out in the wild.
This makes a very nice full-featured dual-tuner DVR if you can get any!
cooperation when
it comes to hooking it up to their system.
Expect them to fight you every step of the way.
There is nothing so good that ( insert name of cable company here )
won't !@#$ it up.

I have a lot of fun with their sales people whenever they try to sell me
something extra ( about hourly ).
I just answer sure, as soon as you turn on the rest of my 3416!
otherwise no.

The other one, which I strongly recommend, is whenever I get hit with a
consumer survey, I answer with something like " I've never heard of your
company. Do you advertise on an encrypted channel?"

Don't get mad... get even!