[mythtv-users] 2010 Mac Mini?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jul 20 21:23:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 06:32:08PM +0100, Greg Cope wrote:

>> >How much power does these other systems use at idle?  The intel
>> >Minis have always been pretty frugal with electricity.  I think
>> >the latest version only uses 13W at idle which is excellent.
>> >

>> I think my dual core revo with dual tuner was 18w so not much more.
>> This is without any tuning to tweak power consumption.
>
>    At "idle" the asrock 330 draws 30 Watts.
>
>    It "peaks" at 36 Watts when playing 720p HD-PVR recordings.
>
> [deletia]
>
>    Interestingly enough, trying to run Hulu Desktop doesn't seem to
> cause it to draw a great deal of power despite using up every spare CPU
> cycle. Nor does divx decoding.

All the atom freq scaling and power savings functionality is reserved
for the netbook-targeted atom. The desktop ones don't do much of
anything in the way of power savings, don't do any freq scaling, etc.
Because, you know, who wants power savings when you're plugged into
the wall all the time? (Intel missed the boat on this one, imo, but
maybe they'll wise up eventually).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com