[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

Shawn Asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 22:01:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> <snip>

Actually, the new HDHR looks like it is going to have 3 tuners, so for your
scenario it'd be three monthly STB rentals you could compare it against.
Also, you can only make that comparison if you have working firewire
capture, which is far from a guaranteed thing, even if you try to use the
FTC regs to force your provider to supporting firewire. Personally, I feel
lucky that I even got the firewire channel changing working on my box, and I
have no desire at all to try to put up enough of a fight to try to get a box
with working firewire capture. It seems like how useful this is will depend
a lot on how large of a selection of the channels for my provider are marked
free to copy, which is something I'm still not entirely sure of. If it does
pan out, what I'd be doing is keeping the cable box + HDPVR combo I use now
for the premium channels, and pick up the new HDHR box for extra tuners for
the copy freely channels. If enough channels are available via the new
device, I would definitely rather add that than add additional cable boxes
and HDPVRs.