[mythtv-users] Backend consolidation, round 3.

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 21 07:21:33 UTC 2010

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Clay <ctmythtv at pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Nick Rout wrote:

>>> Oh and PS, your chown script will not survive a reboot, the
>>> permissions are set by your udev system. Most myth distros set them
>>> right.
>> Doesn't matter anyway... I see the PVR-150s get random assignments every
>> time I reboot. If I ever get this pos close enough to call it good I'll be
>> exploring udev rules (and never restarting or updating...)
>
> I can see you are understandably frustrated.
>
> A couple of pointers arising out of your last two messages:
>
> 1. mythbuntu runs with mythbackend running as user mythtv. user mythtv
> is a member of the video group and your setup shows that group has rw
> access to /dev/video{0,1,2}
>
> 2. it also runs with the user you create on install running
> mythfrontend. So the backend and frontend run as different users.

Not anymore! *g*

> 3.  You have 3 /dev/video{0,1,2} - do you have 3 pvr150s or is there
> another device which comes up as /dev/videoN ?? If so then the order
> they come up in can indeed be a problem. If you have a webcam or
> something, unplug it until you sort everything else then adjust your
> udev rules so you get consistent naming.

(2) PVR-150s. Nothing else on this box. When I set them up last night,
-setup found them at /video0 and /video1. Tonight they're at /video1
(or2?) and /video3.
Next restart they'll be something different... Dapper never screwed them
around this way...
I haven't even begun to mess with udev rules. Never needed them in the
past. It's almost easier just to fix the setup when (if) I reboot...

> 4. I am not familiar with ATSC cards, but I do have DVB-S cards. The
> do not create /dev/videoX nodes, but rather /dev/dev/adapterX nodes
> (that have other dirs and nodes below too). Again you may be getting
> naming issues depending what order they come up in.

/dev/dvb/adapterX/frontend0
-setup is detecting them correctly, for now...

These are DVB-C cards. Kworld calls theirs ATSC115.
<http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/KWorld_ATSC_115>
<http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AVerTVHD_MCE_A180>
  ...there was a time when I could get ATSC with these cards, and many
other channels, but upgrades 'fixed' that.