[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 21 15:31:41 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 09:21:08 am Tyler T wrote:
> > It might work, but I'd expect problems. You'd have to try it out I guess.
> >
> > A couple of high-quality bandpass filters would probably help, but would
> > cost more than your entire Myth setup.
>
> A possible workaround is to put two of the STBs (one per PVR-500) on
> demodulators. You've probably seen modulators (composite -> RF) in big
> box stores for old TVs without composite-in, but you can also get
> demodulators (RF -> composite). They aren't as cheap as modulators,
> but a quick Google turned up several options.
>
> By the way, given the glut of used NTSC tuners due to the digital
> changeover, it may well be cheaper/better to just purchase two
> additional tuners (assuming you have the PCI slots or USB ports to put
> them in).

Good points, here's another:

Old VHS machines are practically scrap these days, and will work as demodulators. Check around your neighborhood's curb
areas on trash day :-)

Of course the result of using the crappy modulator in the cable box, and the crappy demod in the VHS deck, would be (hold
your breath now), crappy pictures.

The cable companies giving out boxes with only an RF output is ridiculous. In a town near here they give out units that
have baseband outputs, but they are disabled, probably to try and encourage people to upgrade.