[mythtv-users] Re-finishing a low-profile case w/ silent parts

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Jul 21 17:36:14 UTC 2010

Another thing to consider is where your case, itself, resides. I had my
HTPC in a wooden cabinet which had no ventilation. As a result, there
was nowhere for all that heat being pushed out of my case to go, and the
internal fans had to work harder.

I made a hole in the back of my cabinet, installed a 120 mm AC fan with
a step-down transformer--so it wouldn't run at full speed--and started
using it to push air out the back of the cabinet. Now my case and CPU
fans can run more slowly, while keeping the whole system cooler than
before. So the whole thing is quieter than it used to be, despite having
added a new fan.