[mythtv-users] Duplicate recordings because of bad SD data?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jul 21 18:05:31 UTC 2010

    > Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:40:10 -0400
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    >   On 07/21/2010 01:01 PM, MarcT wrote:
    > > I just noticed another duplicate of the same show in upcoming recordings.
    > >
    > > On Tuesday, July 27th, is Warehouse 13: Age Before Beauty, I see a
    > > description, an episode number and a program id, On Monday, August 2nd, I am
    > > told I will be recording it again but not properly identified as a
    > > duplicate. On the 2nd there is a different description, actually no
    > > description, no episode number, and the program id is 2 numbers off from the
    > > first recording.

    > Could these be 2-hr episodes broken into 1-hr parts (as those would

It is extremely unlikely that SciFi would show Part 1 of a
not-otherwise- declared two-part episode at 9 and 11pm (with some
unrelated one-hour thing in between), followed by Part 2 at 3p the
next day.  I've certainly seen the same-programid-for-two-parts stunt
before, but I don't believe this is one of them.  [Also, I've just
checked some episode guides, and none of them claim that either this
episode or the next one are two-parters.]

    > legitimately be different programids, but could have identical subtitle
    > and description)?  Or, perhaps they're some kind of extended or enhanced
    > episode?  Or, perhaps the data will be updated when you re-download the
    > listings for July 27th.  Though you shouldn't do this regularly, you can
    > try:

    > mythfilldatabase --refresh-all

    > to see if it's just because the data has been updated since you
    > downloaded it a week ago.

My data is current as of less than 8 hours ago, and it still shows this.

The problem is real---to give another example, "How Do They Do It?"
aired several episodes in the last few months that were exact repeats
of ones aired last year, but with slightly-different descriptions and
entirely different programids.  I have the CC data from all of them,
so determining this was trivial.  I can probably come up with half a
dozen series where this has happened in the last few months.  It's
been an annoying problem basically forever, but the trend has gotten
significantly worse in the last 3-6 months or so.

As far as I can see, TMS is occasionally forgetting that they have a
particular episode in their database and are gensyming a new description
and ID for it.

[This is entirely different from airing the -wrong- episode, which
I've also seen---sometimes as a one-off, sometimes as something that
gets repeated 6 times in a week and every single one was the same
episode but -not- the one the schedule claimed---even with "fresh"
data for all 13 days downloaded every day---and occasionally someone
blows it entirely on a title:  I recall a TCM airing of "The Funeral"
in which they simply screwed up which movie was which---two movies
with the same title.  TCM showed the correct description on their
own website, but TMS/SD picked the wrong one and hence wrong year,
actors, description, and presumably ID.  This has actually happeened
3-4 times on TCM in the last few years, probably because TCM often
airs movies with one-word titles and/or titles that have been remade.]