[mythtv-users] Re-finishing a low-profile case w/ silent parts

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:19:38 UTC 2010

First, you can replace all your fans with quieter models -- see
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section12.html (I have an Vantec Stealth
on my CPU that's so quiet compared to my other fans, I didn't even
bother to undervolt it). You probably don't have a choice of size on
the PS or case fan, but for your CPU, use the largest that will fit
(larger == more air moved per unit of noise). If you have a 60 or 70mm
CPU fan now, put an 80 or 92mm unit on there. Heatsinks generally only
accept up to 80mm fans but you can use an adapter "funnel" that lets
you put a 92mm fan on top if you have the vertical space.

After replacing all three fans (CPU, case, PS [don't electrocute
yourself, mmmkay?]), undervolt them to quiet them more. You can use
Fanmate type controllers, 3-pin plug'n'play fan resistors, or just
solder a big resistor inline (which is what I do so can choose my Ohms
better).

If there is a metal grid in front of that case fan, Dremel it out! The
slightest restriction on a fan's intake side causes cavitation which
makes a high-pitched whining noise. Use rubber or silicone fan mounts,
too.

You can also add some cardboard baffles inside the case to direct cool
air to where it will be most useful.

Replacing the HD may not quiet it much, but it should reduce the
amount of heat you have to remove with the fans. CF and solid state
are options, as is network boot. If your mobo doesn't support PXE
(mine doesn't), you can use a small USB thumbdrive to boot the kernel
from and then load the rest of the rootfs over NFS (which is what I
do). If your mobo can't even USB-boot, boot the kernel off the HD then
load your rootFS over NFS and let the HD spin down into powersave. Be
aware setting up a NFSroot system is waaay more complicated than
CF/SSD though!