[mythtv-users] Re-finishing a low-profile case w/ silent parts

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 21 18:52:37 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:08:56 pm James Orr wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Robert Shields <rwshields at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The compact flash idea sounds really neat!
> >
> > Did you have to purchase a special compact flash drive for this or would
> > any of them do?
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'd also be interested in seeing suggestions for quiet CPU fans that'll
> >> fit in a low-profile case.  I have a Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754).
> >>
> >> You said your hard drive was quiet already, but what I did was use an
> >> 8GB Compact Flash card with a IDE/CF adapter
> >> (http://amzn.com/B000YUMLPI).
> >>
> >> This is of course front-end only, and theres no video storage on it.
>
> Any CF card should work with the adapter.  Apparently CF works in a very
> similar way to IDE so you can just plug them into these cheap adapters.
> The one I linked to isn't exactly the one I have, mine uses a cable
> whereas the one above plugs directly into the IDE slot on the motherboard,
> but it is from the same manufacturer.

You can also use the "Micro Drives", which have the same form factor as a CF card. They are faster than the cards (I know,
it makes no sense that a rotating drive would be faster than a solid-state one, but that's the way it is).

I use some Hitachi 4GB Microdrives in CF-to-SATA adapters and they work very well, and are essentially silent. 4GB is
enough for an OS and such, leaving your regular 3.5" bays open for storage drives.