[mythtv-users] Re-finishing a low-profile case w/ silent parts

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 21 18:56:38 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:36:14 am Dan Wilga wrote:
> Another thing to consider is where your case, itself, resides. I had my
> HTPC in a wooden cabinet which had no ventilation. As a result, there
> was nowhere for all that heat being pushed out of my case to go, and the
> internal fans had to work harder.
>
> I made a hole in the back of my cabinet, installed a 120 mm AC fan with
> a step-down transformer--so it wouldn't run at full speed--and started
> using it to push air out the back of the cabinet. Now my case and CPU
> fans can run more slowly, while keeping the whole system cooler than
> before. So the whole thing is quieter than it used to be, despite having
> added a new fan.

Huh? I'm confused (not unusual).

I thought the speed of an AC motor (at least a synchronous one) was dependent on the frequency of the AC, not on the
voltage, so I don't see how a step-down transformer would work, unless you reduced the voltage to a point where the motor
was "playing catchup", which might lead to overheating and energy inefficiency.