[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 01:18:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> snip...
>
> My main purpose was to make sure the OP knew that DCs are a better solution for combining sources, even if splitters turn
> out to be "good enough".

Thank you all for the advice.  I knew about the risk of interchannel
interference, but didn't realize how it might affect the signal
quality, and I should have thought about DCs, too.  Had a passing
thought about demods, but thought that would A) cost more, B) mean
even more boxes to stack up, and C) probably be poorer signal quality
yet.

In any case, your insights reminded me of things I should have thought
about and will be good for others who don't know about them to begin
with.

Now the testing begins with taking the following steps until satisfied
with cost/result tradeoff:
A) try the splitter/combiner from _my_ "junk box" ;-)
B) try a directional coupler
C) try VCR from my electronics boneyard
D) try a demodulator, or, better yet, (since a quick look at Radio
Shack had them at half the cost of a TV Tuner box) I might try one of
the ATSC Digital OTA to Analog Converters (_with_ pass-through!) that
has S-video/composite output.

Hopefully, A or B will be "good enough" since they don't require power
and don't require tabletop/shelf top space to sit on -- under the desk
items tend to get kicked ;-)

Thanks again!

Craig.