[mythtv-users] Streaming MythTV recordings (MPEG-2) to an Xbox 360

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jul 22 15:24:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:08:55AM +0100, Vitani wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> For over a year I've been happily streaming my MythTV recordings from my
> Mythbuntu server to an Xbox "classic" which was running XBMC. I did this by
> setting up symbolic links with "pretty" names in a nicely organised TV
> folder directly to the MPEG-2 files in the MythTV recording folder.
>
> Now times have moved on a bit and I've "acquired" some HD content which I'd
> like to view on my TV as opposed to my PC, or by connecting my netbook to
> the TV so I bought myself a broken 360 (the DVD drive doesn't work, but
> that's another story) with the intention of swapping one Xbox for another.
>
> I did my research before-hand and found out that the 360 does play MPEG-2,
> but I have since found out that it only does that through Windows Media
> Centre, not using uPnP/DLNA. Obviously as I'm using MythTV installing
> Windows on my server wasn't really an option, but a friend suggested running
> it in a VM. I tried this, and it worked (using a mapped drive from the
> Windows VM to a samba share on the host machine), but it was unusabley slow
> taking about a minute to become responsive after start up and then taking up
> to 30 seconds to respond to the OK button.

    How fast is the machine that the VM is running on? How busy is the machine
inside the VM? My experiences with AirVideo an XP are much better than that
and what I'm using is doing realtime transcoding. Not a direct comparison of
course.

    I suspect that MCE or the Xbox just aren't up to it.

    Try downscaling some of the content and see how that works out.

[deletia]