[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 16:00:54 UTC 2010

> 2) The STB has what looks like a serial port on the back.  I don't
> remember the exact label, but it was something like "Data Port".  Is
> this something that can be used in place of an IR blaster, and is it
> better, worse, or just as "interesting" to use as the IR blaster
> option?

Yes, this is what I used on my SD boxes. There are scripts for this in
contrib.

Works great with a USB->Serial cable.

This can also check what channel the box is currently on, so it can ensure
the change went to the correct channel or not bother with it at all if it's
already on the right channel.  I don't believe firewire can do this (at
least 6200ch can't).