[mythtv-users] Hardware setup

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 22 20:50:32 UTC 2010

Robert wrote:
> On 22/07/2010 19:37, Tyler T wrote:
>>> Case: Antec NSK2480
>>>
>> Looks like a nice case. Well cooled with those dual (!) 120mm fans I'd
>> say, yet they should be fairly quiet on the lowest of the 3 speeds.
>> Heck, I'm tempted to get that case for my desktop PC!
>>

> I can highly recommend this case, as I have used one for the past few
> years now for my Myth frontend/backend.  There's plenty of space inside
> and psu / drives / motherboard are in separate compartments so it's nice
> an tidy in there.  Room for two HDD's and two dvd drives if you want.
>
> Those big exhaust fans have a 3-speed switch attached which I've always
> had set to low - at that speed I can barely here the fans with the even
> with the lid off.  The PSU fan is also barely audible.
>
> The only thing I had to mod slightly was the bright blue HDD led that I
> stuck some coloured celophane over to dim it a bit because mine is in a
> glass fronted unit and it lit up the entire living room everytime there
> was some disk activity!
>
> The case itself is slightly wider than a standard hifi seperate, and
> quite a bit deeper (had to cut the back out of my unit to get it in!)
> But it fits in ok style wise.

Immediate thing that struck me after looking at some pictures: those fans are on
the /side/ of the unit. If you want it to fit in furniture, it would be
preferable if the fans blew out the back. Two reasons, confused airflow if the
fit in your furniture is tight, and you can get any sound reflected out the
front, if not some interesting reverberation effects.

Otherwise, quite impressive :)

--

Mike Perkins