[mythtv-users] idle shutdown/suspend on front-end

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Fri Jul 23 00:58:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 06:41 -0500, Craig Huff wrote:
>> See MythWelcome/MythShutdown in wiki.
>
> Hrm.  I get the impression that mythwelcome is run before mythfrontend
> and can start mythfrontend by a menu selection.  Is that true?  If so,
> then once mythfrontend has started will idleness still be triggered?
> i.e. I am watching a recording in mythfrontend and hit pause and walk
> away -- for many hours.  Will the FE be determined to be idle and
> suspend/hibernate during that time?
>
>> Use it all the time with my BE/FE and FE-only systems, along with
>> wake-on-lan and hibernation.
>
> TBH,  Yet another key press (from mythwelcome to mythfrontend) to get to
> where I want to go is not all that attractive, but if it's a workable
> solution (i.e. will it even address the use-case I outlined above), it
> might be acceptable.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

The frontend doesn't have any idle functionality, and pressing extra
buttons to get back to mythwelcome is more work/thinking than I want
when I watch TV. So I created a script that queries the frontend via
telnet socket, and will shut down if it's not playing anything
(provided the remote hasn't been used in the last 15 minutes).

Now when a show finishes I just turn off the TV and let the myth box
shut itself down.