[mythtv-users] Audio on HDMI - Need more suggestions

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Jul 23 03:03:24 UTC 2010

I have a new installation of MythDora-12, works pretty well, but I
haven't gotten audio onto the HDMI wire yet.  The PC has an Asus
motherboard with nvidia built-in sound, the video board is an
nvidia-220.  I followed this tutorial (which is pretty good):

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_set_up_HDMI_audio_on_nVidia_GeForce_G210%2C_GT220%2C_or_GT240

It looks like everything is right, but still no sound on the HDMI
connection.  So far:

- built and installed alsa-driver from source
- added "enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2" to
/etc/modprobe.d/dist-alsa.conf
- created this "/etc/pulse/default.pa", and put "load-module
module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3" into it
- unmuted the s/pdif device with alsamixer
- added user mythtv to the audio group
- changed mythtv "audio output device" to ALSA:plughw:0,3
- sound works through the regular speakers
- this test runs "speaker-test -c6 -twav -Dplughw:0,3", but nothing
comes out of the speakers

Anyone have a suggestion on what to try next?  By the way, is
pulse-audio needed for this...everyone seems to talk about it, but the
tutorial barely mentions it.

PS - ...and I got this from aplay -l

[mythtv at vanson ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
[mythtv at vanson ~]$