[mythtv-users] Internal player and sub-titles

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Fri Jul 23 07:26:57 UTC 2010

Hello.

Mythbuntu 9.10, MythTV 0.23

I have been doing some searching around for some definitive answers to a
couple of questions I have, but I keep seeing either conflicting stuff
or answers that do not seem to apply or are for older versions.

What I know:

   1.) 0.23 with storage groups enabled (which is required for MythWeb
to be happy displaying videos) does not support external players (at
least not without some fiddling and use of scripts, which I have seen))

   2.) The support of external players may be deprecated in later
versions of MythTV (this appears to still be undecided)

   3.) To display subtitles *.srt files) using the internal player, I
need to have the .srt file in the same directory as the video, and named
the same.  I also either need to press the "T" key, or in the
Mythfrontend settings, enable "always show close captioning" (or
something line that; just going from memory at the moment)

My problems/questions:

   1.) The subtitle text is *way* too small.  I tried changing the "Text
zoom percentage" under "TV OSD Settings" to higher values, but that did
not make any difference.  When I used mplayer in previous versions, i
could change the sub-title text size in the mplayer config.  Is there a
way to change the text size for the internal player?  I also tried
changing the sizes of "Small", "Medium", and "Big" font sizes under the
"Appearance" settings menu, but that just affects the font sizes for the
theme.

   2.) I keep any .srt files for my movies in a directory called
"subtitles" under my main "mythtv" directory.  When I used mplayer as my
video player before, I just created a symlink to that directory under
"~/.mplayer" called "sub", and the subtitles showed automatically.
Using the internal player, I have to have the .srt file in the same
directory as the video (or a symlink to it), but I would really prefer
not to (has to do with my own personal idea of aesthetics when I am
listing my "movies" directory from the command line when I am SSH'd in).
  Is it possible to specify a location for subtitle files for the
internal player to look?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you may provide.