[mythtv-users] Streaming MythTV recordings (MPEG-2) to an Xbox 360

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 19:14:07 UTC 2010

On 07/23/2010 01:52 PM, Vitani wrote:
> On 22 July 2010 16:21, Greg <greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
> <mailto:greg12866 at nycap.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/22/2010 05:08 AM, Vitani wrote:
>>     Good morning,
>>
>>     For over a year I've been happily streaming my MythTV recordings
>>     from my Mythbuntu server to an Xbox "classic" which was running
>>     XBMC. I did this by setting up symbolic links with "pretty" names
>>     in a nicely organised TV folder directly to the MPEG-2 files in
>>     the MythTV recording folder.
>>
>>     Now times have moved on a bit and I've "acquired" some HD content
>>     which I'd like to view on my TV as opposed to my PC, or by
>>     connecting my netbook to the TV so I bought myself a broken 360
>>     (the DVD drive doesn't work, but that's another story) with the
>>     intention of swapping one Xbox for another.
>>
>>     I did my research before-hand and found out that the 360 does
>>     play MPEG-2, but I have since found out that it only does that
>>     through Windows Media Centre, not using uPnP/DLNA. Obviously as
>>     I'm using MythTV installing Windows on my server wasn't really an
>>     option, but a friend suggested running it in a VM. I tried this,
>>     and it worked (using a mapped drive from the Windows VM to a
>>     samba share on the host machine), but it was unusabley slow
>>     taking about a minute to become responsive after start up and
>>     then taking up to 30 seconds to respond to the OK button.
>>
>>     So, my question today is has anyone done this and got it working?
>>     Do you have any advice? Are there options I haven't considered
>>     (which wont cost me more, the Mrs is already annoyed that I've
>>     spent £75 and she can't watch Eastenders atm)? Is there someway I
>>     could transcode these videos on the fly into another format the
>>     Xbox 360 supports? Shall I just cut my losses and revert back to
>>     the Xbox Classic with XBMC and miss out on HD?
>>
>>     Cheers!

>     I use the PS3 media server..It also works on the xbox360... It
>     transcodes on the fly...
>
>     http://ps3mediaserver.org              It works in Linux and windows.
>

> Just installed PS3 Media Server (there's a nice deb package for Ubuntu
> at http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5589
> <http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5589> which make
> it a piece of cake to install) and oh wow - it just works. Not only
> does it just work, but I can play ISOs (although not with the menus)
> and videos in archive files too! Playing DVD ISOs on a 360, wow! I
> didn't think it was even possible :oD
>
> Thanks for the great tip Greg!

I have recommended that to a few people in the past,glad it worked for
you...Here we have a PS3,and a X-Box 360 and it works quite nicely...
Some people don't like the fact that you have to install JAVA,but I've
never had a problem with it.. We have an integrated windows and
Linux(Ubuntu) system here, and the media streams to all the pc's on the
network...Oh,the other thing I love about it is it's free...