[mythtv-users] MythMusic interface

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 21:14:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Christopher Kerr
<mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>
>> How does that fit in with a TV and a remote control? You know the MythTV
>> thingy that this list is all about?
>
> a) The OP suggested a web interface themselves. Running a
> music-playing daemon on your MythTV box makes some sort of sense,
> since it's probably hooked up to the stereo.
>
> b) SqueezePlay is the sofware run on newer squeezeboxes. It has a
> linux version which works quite well, and is keyboard-driven, so it
> only takes about 10 LIRC bindings to get it working with a remote. And
> can be launched from the MythTV menu's easily enough.
>
> Only trouble is that fullscreen functionality tends to appear and
> disappear between versions.

Do I actually need to purchase new hardware to take advantage of this
or can I turn my mythbox into a squeeze server?  I had looked at
squeeze years ago and thought you could put the client anywhere but
needed physical hardware from squeeze (now logitech) to have this
functionality.

> c) It's a client-server setup that fits nicely with the
> Backend-frontend setup of MythTV - it makes it easy to store your
> music on the storage-rich backend machine you already have.

I am happy to add a menu item to call up squeeze on my mythbox if I
can basically do this all without adding hardware.

> Any other questions?

Aside from those, nope.  Thanks.