[mythtv-users] Fine-tuning NFS parameters

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Fri Jul 23 23:56:18 UTC 2010

On 07/23/2010 04:21 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> But for a minimum, on the client side, mount with options:
> soft,posix,bg,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nfsvers=3

I looked up your mount options.  It seems some are not necessary, and at
least one is deprecated.

soft: not performance related, personal preference on hard vs. soft.

posix: couldn't find a reference in my man page

bg: not performance related, personal preference on fg vs. bg.

intr: deprecated

rsize/wsize: The "TRANSPORT METHODS" section of the man page says you
should specify rsize and wsize when using UDP, not when using TCP.  And
all modern NFS implementations use TCP.

nfsvers: autonegotiated to 3 if both sides support it, otherwise 2.  So
this seems unnecessary also.

Gavin, I don't mean to be picking on you.  I just wanted to see if those
options were better than sticking with defaults. So I looked up the
options you recommended, but it seems those might not be ideal, either.

Also, the "async" option I recommended appears to only apply when
writing to an NFS mount, not reading from it.  Since the OP will
presumably only be reading from NFS, async mode probably won't buy him
anything.  So sticking with the defaults will probably be perfectly fine.

-- Kevin