[mythtv-users] Duplicate recordings because of bad SD data?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Jul 24 05:46:05 UTC 2010

Robin Smith <1canuck2 at gmail.com> says:
> The most recent example I can think of is Jimmy Kimmel Live. The
> show airs on three different channels here at the same time.

What are these channels?

Are they
A Identical in every way, but just available over multiple
  transmission methods (say, over-the-air and cable)?
B The same station in different formats (say, an HD and SD version)?
C Different stations that happen to be transmitting Jimmy Kimmel at
  the same time (like here in the Bay area, the Sacramento and San
  Francisco ABC stations)?

If A, each channel's callsign/XMLTVID should match so the scheduler
knows that the channels are fungible.

If B, mark the SD channel as non-visible so it's not used at all,
unless there is a reason you want it available.

If C, keep reading.

> It doesn't bother me, I just delete the dupes and assume its an
> issue with the schedule data. The one time I paid closer attention,
> I think one of the recordings had "proper" data
> (i.e. subtitle/description show actual details about this specific
> episode), the other one had the generic show description.

The easiest way to avoid this situation is to set the recording rule
so it "exclude[s] unidentified episodes." This runs the risk that the
show won't record at all if, on a given night, the listing for all
channels airing Jimmy Kimmel is the generic data, but in my experience
this only happens with Jimmy Kimmel reruns.

> I am pleased people are working on improving this, but I also didn't
> really feel it was something worth complaining about... I'd rather
> it record something it shouldn't have than not record something it
> should have...

I can understand that, and that's why the "exclude unidentified
episodes" option isn't set for most of my rules, but the alternative
is there should you desire to use it.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg