[mythtv-users] Request for help with playback (recordings and video)

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 07:17:28 UTC 2010

> Ok. That was my mistake. I grabbed the first number out of my Xorg log file
>> which evidently is some generic class.  Further down I see that the card is
>> a Ge Force 9500GT.
>>

> In that case, run your frontend with -v playback in a console window and be
> sure VDPAU is initializing properly.  Also, what deinterlacer are you using?
>  I've only had VDPAU problems when I tried to use a deinterlacer (Advanced
> x2, etc) that was beyond the capabilities of my card
>
> Kevin
>
> I have had a chance to do some more investigation without interfering with
the TV-watching household and have come to the following conclusions:
1) There is nothing remarkable with the -v playback. VDPAU seems to be
initialized properly.
2) I was not using any deinterlacers.  My TV is set to 1080i (1920x1080) and
60 Hz.  For grins, I tried several of the deinterlacers and there was no
marked improvement.
3) I cut the number of vdpaubuffers from 50 to 20 and the stuttering got
much worse. Increasing it from 50 to 80 to 100 made no difference.
4) The jerkiness or stuttering seems to be contained in a single show (Two
and a Half Men) and only to the older shows that were transmitted in SD.
5) Most all of my other recordings are either 720p or 1080i.  There doesn't
appear to be any stuttering in these recordings.
6) That leaves only the video/audio sync issue described in my first post
(video goes about 2x while audio stays at 1x; push a skip or pause action
and all is well) that affect all recordings (and videos).
7) I played an SD episode of 2 1/2 Men with an external video player and it
played smoothly.

So, the problem was not quite as bad as I made out; just that we watch an
episode of 2 1/2 Men each evening so it sticks out in my mind.  Maybe
someone with more experience with video decoding than I have can give an
explanation even if there is no fix.

-- Ken E.