[mythtv-users] Request for help with playback (recordings and video)

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jul 24 13:31:37 UTC 2010

On 07/24/2010 03:17 AM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:

>         Ok. That was my mistake. I grabbed the first number out of my
>         Xorg log file which evidently is some generic class.  Further
>         down I see that the card is a Ge Force 9500GT.
>

>     In that case, run your frontend with -v playback in a console
>     window and be sure VDPAU is initializing properly.  Also, what
>     deinterlacer are you using?  I've only had VDPAU problems when I
>     tried to use a deinterlacer (Advanced x2, etc) that was beyond the
>     capabilities of my card
>
>     Kevin
>
> I have had a chance to do some more investigation without interfering
> with the TV-watching household and have come to the following conclusions:
> 1) There is nothing remarkable with the -v playback. VDPAU seems to be
> initialized properly.
> 2) I was not using any deinterlacers.  My TV is set to 1080i
> (1920x1080) and 60 Hz.  For grins, I tried several of the
> deinterlacers and there was no marked improvement.
> 3) I cut the number of vdpaubuffers from 50 to 20 and the stuttering
> got much worse. Increasing it from 50 to 80 to 100 made no difference.
> 4) The jerkiness or stuttering seems to be contained in a single show
> (Two and a Half Men) and only to the older shows that were transmitted
> in SD.
> 5) Most all of my other recordings are either 720p or 1080i.  There
> doesn't appear to be any stuttering in these recordings.
> 6) That leaves only the video/audio sync issue described in my first
> post (video goes about 2x while audio stays at 1x; push a skip or
> pause action and all is well) that affect all recordings (and videos).
> 7) I played an SD episode of 2 1/2 Men with an external video player
> and it played smoothly.
>
> So, the problem was not quite as bad as I made out; just that we watch
> an episode of 2 1/2 Men each evening so it sticks out in my mind.
> Maybe someone with more experience with video decoding than I have can
> give an explanation even if there is no fix.
>
> -- Ken E.

I have problems with Two and a Half men also..If the program is recorded
off my STB (SA4250HDC) it works fine..If it's recorded of my digital
card it's blocky and the audio screeches.. One other thing I have
noticed is this always happens on The CW station,if it's off CBS I never
have these problems.. This makes me think my problem is with the station
and not Mythtv..